Vacancy number 2021-36
Are you committed to creating a world where young people are actively contributing to and influencing all levels of decision making and implementation of adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health and rights (AYSRHR) efforts? Do you identify as an influencer, strategist and implementer with transformational ideas about how youth and adult practitioners, researchers, advocates and funders can work together to evolve practices that deliver better AYSRHR? Do you believe in collective action learning as an approach to dismantling entrenched barriers and creating new opportunities? Are you creative, ambitious and interested in building a new cross-stakeholder initiative to support progress in the AYSRHR field? If this sounds like you, keep reading about the Strategy and Impact Lead role!
About the Collective Action Learning Hub
Young people want and deserve the power to make decisions about their bodies, lives, and futures. It is both their right and their responsibility. But making this a reality requires youth participation at every level of AYSRHR decision-making and implementation — such that young people are engaged as partners and leaders in all efforts.
More than three decades of efforts to engage young people have demonstrated that, when this is done effectively, there are benefits not only for young people, but also the adults who work with them, the institutions they serve and lead, the initiatives they spearhead, and the outcomes they seek. Partnering with young people is not only the right thing to do; it improves the quality and responsiveness of AYSRHR efforts.
Yet despite increasing evidence of the multi-level benefits of youth partnership , this practice has not been systematically, consistently, or rigorously adopted. Mainstreaming youth partnership in AYSRHR is stymied by a lack of cross-stakeholder alignment, coordination, and shared learning. As such, stakeholders are calling for concentrated efforts toward collective action learning to overcome these persistent barriers and advance youth partnership in AYSRHR efforts as the norm.
The YIELD Collective Action Learning Hub will function as a cross-stakeholder field-building entity toward mainstreaming young people’s participation as a norm that funders both expect and resource, and that institutions of all sizes and types integrate as a standard way of working. The Hub will anchor its work in a collective theory of change and pursue field-defined action learning priorities within and across the domains of measurement, practice and resourcing of youth partnership in AYSRHR. This is a new initiative built on the research and stakeholder engagement of the Youth Investment, Engagement and Leadership Development Project (YIELD Project). You can find related research and tools at yieldproject.org.
The YIELD Hub is an independent initiative hosted by Rutgers. The Hub will be staffed by a core team of three leads, with operational support from Rutgers staff.
About the Strategy and Impact Lead Role
The Strategy and Impact Lead is an influencer and a strategist. The individual in this role provides overall leadership, strategic direction and coordination of the YIELD Hub, oversees Hub operations and accountability structures and supports resource mobilization. The Strategy and Impact Lead will work with Hub staff, the Advisory Board and the Host to refine and implement approaches to achieve field-evolving results.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a 7-year strategy using consultative approaches; refine and manage a 3-year implementation plan and related budget. Monitor and adapt against a results framework.
- Oversee the development and continuous improvement of functions, systems, tools, and processes that make use of action learning and resulting knowledge to advance the Hub mission.
- Demonstrate leadership and purposeful management skills of remote teams, Advisory Board, and funder relationships.
- Help recruit cross-stakeholder members and manage Advisory Board engagement and development.
- Forge and manage relationships with Hub host officers and staff, funders, and external collaborators.
- Manage the complexity of cross-stakeholder collective action learning as an approach and respond to emergent community, technical, and funding priorities.
- Develop strong and positive relationships with Hub stakeholders, with priority to build and retain the trust of youth.
- Proactively promote the mission, learning and field-building contributions of the Hub and actively seek, identify and support opportunities to raise additional funding in collaboration with the Advisory Board, Host, and funders.
- Oversee successful implementation of age and gender related safeguarding policies.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing remote teams, complex and ambitious initiatives and associated funding streams; demonstrated experience influencing institutional and/or systems change.
- Robust, relevant and current cross-stakeholder network and willingness to leverage that network for the Hub’s work.
- Demonstrated experience working closely with international donors, preferably in partnerships or collaborative initiatives.
- Deep understanding of key actors, frameworks, related politics and practices, as well as power dimensions in the AYSRHR field.
- Broad understanding of youth civic engagement, youth leadership development, youth participation and engagement politics and practices.
- Understanding of how to use a theory of change as a living tool and roadmap for organized action and change within and across stakeholder groups.
- Excellent interpersonal and people management skills, mediation and conflict resolution skills, inclusive consultation skills and demonstrated ability to motivate others.
- University degree or related experience in youth leadership, international development, community development, AYSRHR or relevant social science field.
- Fluency in English and desired proficiency in French.
If you do not meet all the criteria above but still feel your experience could be a good fit
for the role, please apply. We recognize that candidates who do not check every box can
add value to the Hub.
We offer a challenging position in an international working environment, with highly motivated and qualified colleagues. The position is a contractual position for one year, with opportunity for annual renewal. Global conditions permitting, the position may require up to 10% regional and international travel. Compensation range is US$70–75,000 per year based on a 36-hour week.
We are seeking a geographically, gender diverse team of young professionals between the ages of 25-35 years. Young professionals from countries that are not members of the European Union or from the United States of America are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
If you are an interested and qualified candidate, please send: a cover letter focused on describing why this specific role and the Hub initiative are interesting and important to you. This cover letter should also showcase your relevant experience and skills and be accompanied by your resume. Your application for this position must be submitted via the online application form.
For further information related to the position, please email email@example.com, citing the above-mentioned vacancy number as reference.
For additional background information about the YIELD Project, visit yieldproject.org. If you would like more information about Rutgers as the hosting organization, please consult www.rutgers.international.
Applications for this position should be submitted no later than Sunday October 24, 2021. The candidate selection process will then begin the following week with screening interviews, followed by panel interviews, and then individual interviews with finalists.
Your personal data will be erased three months after the completion of the application procedure. This vacancy has been posted internally and externally simultaneously.
If this is not your dream job, please support The YIELD Hub and Rutgers by sharing this vacancy in your network. We do not appreciate receipt of any commercial correspondence through the channels listed for the purposes of replying to this advertisement.