The six key competencies highlighted for healthy adolescent sexuality development are:
(1) Sexual literacy: The basic understanding of the human body, relationships and SRHR that is developmentally and age appropriate.
(2) Gender-equal attitudes: Hold attitudes that support gender-equal norms related to the social and cultural roles, responsibilities, rights and capacities of men and women, boys and girls.
(3) Respect for human rights and understanding consent: Demonstrate respect and empathy for others, understand privacy and consent in relation to self and others.
(4) Critical reflection skills: The ability to recognise and understand how social norms and structures shape one’s own feelings, behaviours and experiences.
(5) Coping skills: A dynamic process to manage and adapt to different types of stressful internal or external changes related to adolescent sexuality development.
(6) Interpersonal skills: The ability to communicate and negotiate with intimate partners, peers, family members and others that influence adolescents’ lives.